Thursday, October 25, 2007

Autumn

This is excellent---we're about to take a walk to Tim Horton's. Nothing like hiking to a donut shop for exercise. Still, it's something, and it's pretty beautiful out there. How many km does one have to trudge to work off a cinnamon roll?

It's interesting being a freelancer. Just when I've accepted that I may have a few work-free months, the phone calls and emails begin. I reckon people have somehow, through evolutionary phenomena involving mind-reading and espionage, gained a general knowledge of my annual patterns; work solidly like a dog for 6-7 months then relax a little. I greatly appreciate those who feel inclined to give me gainful employment in the less busy months, don't get me wrong---I just wish I understood where their whacky psychic super-powers come from and how to get me some of that.

I've been coaching chamber music for my alma mater. Though I'd dreaded it like nobody's business, it's damn fun. For one thing, feeling like I have knowledge that's actually useful to impart is a pretty great feeling, and whereas 10 years ago I may have been at a loss, now I feel confident that my millions of hours spent playing string quartet rep of every shape and size have proven quite useful in more ways than one. I won't go on about the students, for fear that one may one day come across this public posting; suffice it to say that they impress me no end and I enjoy returning to the thought processes of a teenager.

Chamber music is such an extraordinary tool for keeping one's chops up...but also for learning to deal with humanity. There's little or no room for ego, which is a wonderful thing. That's not to say that ego never enters into the mix; just that it should bugger off if it knows what's good for it.

No comments: