Saturday, November 3, 2007

Radio

Just a quickie then I'm off to watch Hot Fuzz.

So the other day I finally snapped and sent a snarky email off to a local radio station which shall remain nameless, but rhymes with Shlassical Shlinety Shix Shoint Shree. They keep labelling themselves "The NEW Classical blahblahblah" but in actual fact, they're recycling all the same old tunes and habits as ever. They were recently acquired by a local tv and radio mogul and, I suppose that with the reduction in Classical programming on CBC radio's part, I had high hopes for a shift in programming and general thinking. Silly, stupid me.

What finally cheesed me off irreparably was that, in the car a few days back, I heard part of the Sinfonia Concertante (the Mozart, the one with violin and viola soloists---this is relevant) and sat there, waiting to hear who was playing, when I could've been in the grocery store. The movement ended and lo, "That was Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante, performed by Maxim Vengerov." BEAUTIFUL.

That was it; I'd had it. I was sick of tuning in and hearing Strauss waltzes, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and the bloody first movement of the bloody Moonlight Sonata repeatedly, but to add insult to injury, the implication that there was only a violin soloist in the Mozart? And the failure to mention the violist?

Bah.

I think I got particularly uppity because it was most likely an acquaintance of mine playing, the significant other of a good friend living in England. Also, I play the viola and to imply that there is no viola solo part...well, crap.

So I finally wrote in.

It is completely contrary to my nature to write letters of complaint, but man, did that chap my ass.

The end.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Don't blame you...that is unforgivable. (unless Vengerov played both parts...though unlikely..)

We used to have two classical stations here in Vermont until VPR decided to cut all the classical programming. Big uproar and still ongoing...

The other station is pretty good if you ignore that there is no music after 1950 on it. And the afternoon host really loves the oboe. Really, really loves it....

But we get to hear entire symphonies of Brahms and Sibelius as well as SF and Detroit Symphony concerts every few days so I can't complain too much.

Enjoy reading your blog! Awesome.

Have a great day...